HISTORICAL BACKGROUND OF BARAU DIKKO TEACHING HOSPITAL (BDTH), KADUNA
Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital (BDTH) Kaduna formerly known as “Nursing Home” was established in 1930 as a colonial administration hospital which catered for colonial administration officials and their families. When Nigeria gained independence, the hospital served mainly senior Nigerian civil servants, military personnel and their families. A new structure was built adjacent to it and the named the New General Hospital.
The later was commissioned on 9th May, 1985 by the then Military Head of State, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari. The old structure became the children’s hospital. In 1999, the two hospitals were merged into one and upgraded to the status of a specialist hospital, named, Barau Dikko Specialist Hospital in honor of DR. RUSSEL BARAU DIKKO, the first Medical practitioner from Northern Nigeria.
The hospital has been operating as a secondary healthcare facility (Specialist Hospital) until its establishment by the government of Kaduna State to serve as a teaching hospital for Kaduna State University. The law was enacted for the establishment of the hospital as Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital, Kaduna on the 31st March, 2015 by the State Government.
It however became effectively operational as a teaching hospital in March, 2016, after successful accreditation by both National University Commission (NUC) and the Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN) allowing it to train medical students for the first time.
The drive towards postgraduate training commenced in 2017 with the successful accreditation of Family Medicine by both the West African College pf Physicians and National Postgraduate Medical College of Nigeria. Presently, Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital, is the major tertiary health (non -specialist) institution in Kaduna town, the political capital of the Northern Nigeria. There is other specialty – based tertiary health facilities in Kaduna that provide complementary services in the town.
VISIT BDTH WEBSITE HERE: BDTH